Don’t take things for granted when it comes to remembering your passwords. If you have different set of passwords used in different places and activities they can easily mix up with one another or worse your memory might someday betray you. The probability of losing password when you use your PC on regular basis is relatively slim but why should we take the chance? Don’t wait until it’s too late.
One simple solution to avoid this thing from happening is by creating Password Reset Disks. If you forget your computer password, you can use a password reset disk to create a new one. We recommend that you create a password reset disk when you create your password, so you don’t lose access to your files and information.
Creating Password Reset Disk
1. Plug in your pendrive into USB port in your computer.
2. Type in “Control Userpasswords” in Start Menu Search box
3. Click on “Create a Password Reset Disk”
4. Click Next when “Forgotten Password Wizard” welcome screen popups.
5. Select the drive letter for the USB drive you used in Step 1, and click Next.
6. In the next screen, you need to enter your current password and click next.
7. Wait until the progress bar reaches 100% and click next.
8. Complete the process by clicking on the finish button
Note: This process will not affect any data residing inside your pendrive. All data will remain intact. It just creates a file namely userkey.psw which will be used when resetting Windows Vista password.
Resetting Windows Vista Password
1. Plugin your pen drive in in the USB port
2. Click on reset password when you are in the login page (welcome page).
3. Select the drive letter for the pen drive and click Next.
4. Key in your new password, retype it to confirm and set the hint for your password
5. Now you can login with your new password.
Note: I read somewhere and some people claimed this method doesn’t work (Why it shouldn’t work anyway, it’s a built in function in Vista). I personally tried this before posting this post; it works like a charm. For what’s worth I’m on Vista Ultimate.